Low-Waste Gifts For Everyone On Your List!
December 17, 2019
Written by: Lydia Mendel, social @blueland
Struggling to find the perfect holiday gift? This year get the perfect gift for anyone on your list and keep it eco-friendly. We have the perfect plastic-free and low-waste gifts for your loved ones and the planet.
Low Waste Gifts For For the Eco-Friendly Newbie
The holidays are the perfect time to start reducing plastic and waste in our lives. For your friends who are eco-friendly newbies, start by gifting them The Big Four to get them started!
- Reusable Water Bottle: Cutting out single-use plastic is easy with a reusable water bottle. Give the gift of a refill solution with a reusable water bottle! Some of our favorite brands are Swell, Corkcicle and Miir.
- Coffee Mug: Reusable coffee and tea mugs are a necessity in the winter and make a great gift. Some of our favorite brands are Byta, Klean Kanteen and Yeti.
- Reusable Straw: Reusable straws make a great gift for your on-the-go eco newbie! Reusable straws can come in all types of materials, like glass, silicone and metal. We love the straws from Final Straw that come in a carrying case for easy transport!
- Grocery Bag: Grocery bags make great gifts and they can double as sustainable gift wrapping! Give the gift to your loved ones and the planet by helping eliminate plastic bags. We love canvas bags and foldable bags from Baggu, so we can stay fashion-forward and eco-friendly.
Low Waste Gifts For The Fitness Fanatic
There are a lot of single-use items in fitness, but there doesn’t have to be! These items are great gifts for the eco-friendly fitness fanatic!
- Girlfriend Collective Leggings: These leggings are made from recycled water bottles. They repurpose old plastic bottles to make the polyester used in their leggings. These leggings are a perfect gift because they are great for working out, and great for the environment.
- Water bottle: Water bottles are a must for working out, but help your friends skip the plastic bottle from gym. Give the gift of a reusable water bottle and help reduce plastic waste!
- Memberships: The best fitness gift with no waste? Give the gift of a gym membership, ClassPass or other fitness class! You can give your fitness fanatic the perfect gift without any waste at all by purchasing the class or membership on their behalf. Skip the plastic gift card if you are gifting a workout class, and instead gift a class or membership online.
Low Waste Gifts For The Holiday Host
Chances are you have a few holiday parties to attend this year. We have some ideas that will make you the favorite party guest.
- Candle + Match Set: Candles make a great host gift, but this year choose an eco-friendly candle and pair it with matches. Some candle brands we like are P.F. Candle Co and Follain. Matches are plastic-free, so they make a great addition to the candle gift!
- Cheese board: Cutting or cheese boards make for great host gifts. This year, gift plastic-free with a wooden cutting or cheese board. You can find great wooden boards from Material Kitchen and William Sonoma.
Low Waste Gifts For The Travel Lover
Staying plastic-free while traveling is difficult. Help out the travel lover on your list by gifting them a few items that will help them stay plastic-free while on-the-go.
- Stasher bags: Stasher bags are perfect for traveling. Gift stasher bags and help your avid traveler ditch the airport snacks that come wrapped in plastic and go plastic-free!
- Go Toob: Go Toobs are a great gift for your traveling friend. They are a great replacement for plastic travel-sized bottles because they are silicone and reusable. They also make great stocking stuffers!
- Travel journal + fountain pen: Help your traveler be more mindful this holiday season by gifting them a travel journal and fountain pen. Try to find a journal made with recycled paper, and with a cardboard or paper covering. A fountain pen is a great gift that cuts out a lot of waste because they are refillable and reusable. Some pen brands we like are Cross, Pilot and Lamy.
Give gifts to your list and the planet with these eco-friendly gift options!
Low Waste Gifts For The Person Who Has Everything
We all have that one person who’s really hard to shop for. This year, instead of struggling to find a gift they don’t already have, give a gift in their honor. Giving to charitable organizations in someone’s name is a completely waste-free and gives back to the community! If you want to give back to organizations that help the environment, check out Oceana, Cool Effect and the Lonely Whale.
Last Minute Zero Waste Digital Gifts
Scrambling for a gift last minute? No worries! Digital gifts are zero-waste and can be gifted in minutes! Here are some of our favorite digital gifts this season.
- Blueland Gift Card: The Blueland gift card is the perfect zero-waste gift! The digital card uses no plastic, and your loved one can choose just what they want to keep their home and the planet clean!
- TV Subscriptions: Give the gift of binge watching, with a tv subscription. This gift is great for the movie and tv lover on your list and creates no waste at all!
- E-Tickets: Give the gift of experiences with concerts, theater or sporting event tickets. Rather than gifting physical tickets, gift e-tickets to help keep the experiences as low-waste as possible!
- Digital Magazines Or Newspaper: Does your loved one love their favorite magazine or newspaper? Help them enjoy it on-the-go and without any paper waste with digital magazine and newspaper subscriptions!
Refill is the New Recycle
The perfect way to start cutting out single use plastic from your home.