Written by: Natalie Henderson, Marketing at Blueland
June 15, 2022
Summer is in full swing and so are summer farmers markets! Farmers markets are a great way to support local farms, bakeries and other small businesses and the planet!
Benefits of Shopping from Farmers Markets
Farmers markets are a great way to keep fresh and seasonal produce into your diet and can help you eat more foods that are grown close to home. This is a great way to support local farmers and also a great way to reduce your carbon footprint. Eating seasonal and locally grown produce means your food has to travel fewer miles to get you, meaning less gas and fewer emissions. Plus, it’s a great way to access organic produce and try out something new!
5 Tips to Keep Your Farmers Market Tip Sustainable
- Bring your own containers: An easy way to keep your shopping trip sustainable is to bring your own containers for berries and other small fruits and veggies, bring reusable produce bags (we love mesh ones!), and of course bring your own reusable shopping bags for your haul. Another tip is to use an old pillowcase for bulkier items like bread.
- Return and reuse packaging: Many farm stands can reuse your packaging for future weeks, so keep and return things like rubber bands and egg cartons. This helps small businesses and helps keep packaging waste at bay.
- Do a lap before you shop: Buying only what you need is the best way to reduce waste and because many farm stands have loose produce, it’s easy to shop the perfect quantities. Do a full lap of the market before you buy so you can make sure you’re buying just what you need.
- Bring a cooler: Worried about getting home quickly after a trip? Bring a cooler to keep your produce and dairy items cool on your way home so you can relax and take your time.
- Look out for compost: Nearly 40% of all food in the U.S. is wasted. Composting is a great way to help keep food waste from completely going to waste. If you’re looking to start composting your local farmers market might be able to help, as many local farmers markets partner with composting services.
Not sure if there’s a market in your area? Try this farmers market finder to see if there is a farmers market near you.