January 4, 2021
Written by: Allie Willison, Customer Experience @Blueland
The Ball has dropped, the bells have rang, and we’re ready to put 2020 behind us. Time to recycle the champagne bottles and get ready to face a new year. We have ahead of us a year of renewal, recommitment, and upping your reusable game.
Here are 21 ways to get 2021 started on the right (green) foot:
Low Waste Everyday Swaps
There are a bunch of little things we use in our everyday lives that can be swapped out for a plastic free alternative.
- Switch to a reusable water bottle is one of our favorites!)
- Carry a reusable straw, like the ones that include a cute little case from Final Straw
- A good, heavy duty reusable coffee to-go mug (We’re obsessed with Byta’s 16 oz. so many cool colors to choose from!)
- Get some reusable grocery bags like these from Baggu
- Swap regular light bulbs for LED light bulbs
Low Waste Bathroom Swaps
One place we use a lot of single use items is in the Bathroom, between our shower routine, our skincare, makeup, and everything else– we go through so much plastic! Here are a few ways to minimize that impact:
- Shop sustainable fashion brands! We love our good friends over at Reformation and Everlane. Or try United By Blue for your wintery needs!
- Switch to sustainable hair and makeup products (check out these plastic free shampoo and conditioner bars from HiBar)
- If you get a period, switch to eco-friendly menstrual products (like a cup or period underwear from sustainable brands like Saalt, Joyja, or OrganiCup)
Low Waste Daily Routine
We can all make an effort to make our daily routine greener! These easy switches will help start the new year off right, building lasting change in how you get things done.
- Wash your clothes in cold water instead of hot
- Lessen your food waste by only buying what you need (Meal planing helps!)
- Learn to mend, patch, and darn clothing (the more you can salvage, the less ends up in a landfill!)
- Open the blinds– let in natural light instead of using electricity (Saves money too!)
- Plant an herb garden or window box for apartment dwelling (Fresh herbs to spice up any meal? Yes please. Make Gordon Ramsey proud.)
- Put all your bills on paperless
- Eat less meat
- Start composting
- Share things with your friends– like books, games, movies– instead of purchasing yourself (creating a community of swaps, you can have so much more without the waste!)
Low Waste Changes To Take It To The Next Level
While easy routine swaps and switching to plastic free does a lot, there is always more to be done when it comes to keeping it green. With the country shifting towards a greener future, you can keep up the momentum of 2020 by investing in our future and the planet’s future by:
- Start riding your bike places instead of driving (or walking more if you live in a city!)
- Fly less– take the road less travelled
- Get involved in local charities or groups that focus on Environmentalism
- Vote in your local and state elections!!!
2021 will be the year of the planet! We are manifesting, we believe it will happen! And with these easy steps, we can all make it a greener, plastic free, healthier year.